Chiesa di S. Domenico
The church, annexed to a Dominican monastery, dates back to the first half of the XVth century and was built by order of the promoter of the Dominican reformation, Giovanni Dominici. In the XVIIth and XVIIIth century the structure was modified, with the addition of the bell tower and the gallery (Matteo Nigetti, XVIIth century). In that period, the chorus and the presbytery were built too. The interior is composed of a single hall, with a series of XV-XVIth century chapels, three at each side, and covered by a vault with frescoes by M. Bonechi (Glory of S. Domenico, 1705). The most significant works include the Apparition of Christ to the Virgin and the symbols of the Passion, by Piero Dandini, in the back of the façade, and the Crucifixion, by the Botticelli workshop, in the first chapel on the right. The chorus features some prized wooden decorations (XVIIth century stalls), as well as the elevated presbytery (Some XVth century benches) and the vestry (some late XVth century counters), while the small relic chapel hosts an original painted cupboard (1606, Giovanni da Firenze). The Beato Angelico lived in this monastery with the name of Fra' Giovanni da Fiesole. The triptych displayed in the oratory of S. Donato of Scotland and a frescoed Crucifix that can be seen in the Capitular hall are both his works. You can also see a removed fresco, with a signed sinopia, made by the Maestro’s collaborators.
Principali opere presenti: Crucifixion with the Madonna and S. Girolamo, by Botticelli’s school; Glory of S. Domenico, by M. Bonechi, 1705; Madonna with Child, Angels and Saints Tommaso d'Aquino, Barnaba, Domenico and Pietro the Martyr, by Beato Angelico, 1425; painted Crucifix, by Beato Angelico; Madonna with Child, by Beato Angelico’s school.
Indirizzo: Piazza San Domenico - Fiesole
Orario apertura: 8.30 - 12.00 a.m; 3.30 - 5.30 p.m
Ingresso: free entrance